Newbie Vegetable Garden - Knowledgebase Question

Sunnyvale, Ca
Question by asangoi2
Dear experts,
I just started a ground veggie garden from seedlings (broccoli, celery,some herbs, etc--things recommended for winter). I used potting soil. When/what should I do to add fertilizer afterward? A few weeks? Months? More potting soil on top of plants? Is

0

A fall garden is usually easier to take care of than a summer garden. You'll have fewer insect problems and fewer weeds to deal with because of the cooler weather, and you won't need to water quite as often, either. A vegetable garden will be happy with one inch of water per week. If you don't get that much rainfall in a 7 day period, water your garden slowly and deeply once each week. I usually side-dress my veggies with compost. A 2-3 inch layer of compost spread around the plants and over the bare soil will suppress winter weeds and will also provide nutrients to the roots of your veggies. If you prefer to use a granular type fertilizer, you can broadcast a 5-10-10 general purpose fertilizer over the bed around your plants 6 weeks after planting. Granular fertilizers are slow release and will provide nutrients to the plants over an extended period of time. Liquid fertilizers are faster acting and if you use liquid fertilizers you will feed both the roots and the foliage of your plants. Depending upon the brand you use, you may need to reapply every 4 weeks. Be sure to check the label for recommendations. Hope you have a great harvest!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"