Peace Lily - Knowledgebase Question

Knoxville, Te
Question by smassyl
I received 2 of the above plants in May when my father passed away. I have them inside & have been watering them. However, on both of them, some of the leave are some brown around the edges. They are still in the soil & pots I received them in. Do I need to repot them & why is the brown there? I certainly do not want to loose them. Can you help me? Thanks so much.

0

Unfortunately, the answer is that there are several reasons for browning leaf tips on a peace lily. Use the processed of elimination to determine which are likely to apply to your peace lily. Hard water or softened water can have excess minerals that can cause brown leaf tips and edges. Switch to filtered, distilled or rainwater. Using too much fertilizer also adds excess minerals to the soil. If you fertilize, do it only when the plant is growing vigorously and dilute it to half strength. Allowing the soil to dry to the point that the plant wilts will cause brown leaf tips. Try to water just before the leaves start to wilt. Keeping the soil constantly wet will cause dark brown tips that spreads to the entire leaf. Allow the soil to dry almost to the wilt point before watering. Dry indoor air can also contribute to the broblem. I hope this helps you identify the cause of the problem. It's okay to trim off the brown tips and edges. This will make the plant look more attractive. I hope you can determine just what's going on with your peach lily so you can avoid the problem in the future.

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Tulips"