diseased - Knowledgebase Question

Houston, Te
Question by wilson6414
my jalapenos have developed a sticky sheen on the leaves and underside has a large amount of black dots. The plant has flowered numerous times with no problems. There are a lot of small peppers 1-2

0

Rather than a disease, I think your pepper plants have an insect infestation. When sucking insects such as aphids, mealybugs or scales feed on the fluids of the leaves they excrete a sticky substance called honeydew. I suspect that's what you are seeing on the surface of the leaves. If you don't control the insect pests the sticky substance will turn black (we call this sooty mold). You can try spraying your plants with insecticidal soap to suffocate soft bodied insects or you can try hosing them off with a strong stream of water from the hose. The peppers should continue to grow and mature and will be safe to eat even if you use an insecticidal soap spray. Best wishes with your peppers.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"