plants for North side of house - Knowledgebase Question

allison park, Pe
Question by carolg08
My husband has asked me to plant some perennials and shrubs on the side of our house. This area gets no morning sun only some evening. The soil is a heavy clay with stones.It is on the houses North side.Help? Carol

0

I'd start first by amending the soil to help it drain quickly. Remove any surface debris then spread 3-4 inches of compost or other organic matter and dig it in to a depth of 8-10 inches, level the area and then plant your plants. Some of the prettiest shade loving plants include: Astilbe 'Glow', An Arendsii hybrid, 'Glow' has dark red buds opening to multihued rose-red blossoms in panicles on 30" stems in early-mid summer. Foliage is quite bronze early in the season, becoming more green with summer's warm temps. Astilbe appreciate evenly moist soil conditions. Actaea 'Hillside Black Beauty' this selection of "Bugbane" or "Fairy Candles" forms 1-2' clumps of dark chocolate colored foliage. 4-6' stems carrying wands of creamy white fragrant flowers appear in late summer and early fall. Plant near light colored or brilliant gold Hosta to really set off the dark foliage. Anemone japonica Honorine Jobert' White single blossoms with yellow centers on sturdy 3' stems bring grace to the garden in late-summer and early autumn. Aquilegia vulgaris' Leprechaun Gold, Aquilegia, commonly known as Columbine, delights in late spring with its charming spurred blossoms. What I like about 'Leprechaun Gold', besides its dark violet flowers, is its colorful green splashed gold foliage. Campanula persicifolia 'La Belle' produces loose racemes of sky blue old fashioned roses on 2' stems. Need I say more? Blooms in June and July and makes an exquisite bouquet. Helleborus 'Royal Heritage Strain', a patented strain of hybrid Hellebore in an array of colors ranging from green through white into deep pinks and mauve. When setting plants in your garden bed, place the tallest in the center or along the back so they don't block your view of the lower growers. Best wishes with your garden.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Aster and Sedum"