Azaleas - Knowledgebase Question

roseville, Ca
Question by rmpbniski209
Last year I planted Coral Bell and a Hino Crimson Azaleas which, at the time, were in full bloom. Since then, both have tripled in size, but have not produced any flowers. I have been fertilizing them with 13-13-13 and it, apparently, has stimulated the growth but not the flowering.

I would appreciate any advice on how I can encourage blooming.

Thank you.

Richard Niski

0

Azaleas develop flower buds during the summer months for the following spring's floral display. For this reason, azaleas should be pruned immediately after flowering has finished. Pruning encourages new flowering growth. In general, azaleas do not triple in size in a single growing season so I suspect you may be overfertilizing your plants. An annual feeding of an acidified fertilizer such as one especially formulated for Rhododendrons and Azaleas should be all your plants need, and the feeding should be made in mid=spring. There's not much you can do to encourage flowering at this point. Wait until after the normal bloom time next spring (usually around April) and prune your plants back to make them more compact and to encourage the development of flower buds. Best wishes with your garden.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"