White flies - Knowledgebase Question

Lake Zurich, Il
Question by amayaalfredo
I got white flies in my potted vegetables; I always re-use the soil the following year (after amending it). Is there a chance the potted soil is contaminated with flies eggs? could the flies go dormant and re-appear in spring? I live in northern Illinois and the soil is going to be exposed to the winter cold.

0

Your potting soil will not be a safe haven for whiteflies or their eggs. Whiteflies are subtropical insects that can not survive outdoor winter conditions. Populations of whiteflies are maintained season-to-season on indoor plants and in greenhouses. These infested plants are the source of most whitefly populations in gardens. Don't worry about whitefly eggs overwintering in your potting soil. Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Mixed Coleus"