Winterize My Veggie Garden - Knowledgebase Question

Elk Grove Village, Il
Question by jessicad76
We planted a vegetable garden, kind of on a whim and without much research. We had a very productive summer - broccoli, cucmbers, jalepeno and cayenne peppers, bell peppers, and lots of tomatoes. Now that winter is fast approaching, we see that we have no idea how to prepare/preserve the garden! Please give us some advice - do we cut back all the plants? Do we cover the bed with compost/other?

0

After you've harvested all your veggies you can remove all the plant debris (pull the plants out of the ground). You can then spread 3-4 inches of compost over the top of the bed. This mulch will help suppress winter weeds. In the spring you can rototill or dig the compost into the bed. The organic matter will help loosen the soil and enrich it so you'll have a fantastic harvest next summer. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"