pruning a weeping cherry tree - Knowledgebase Question

South Glastonbury, Co
Question by highwoodmom0
I have a weeping cherry tree that I just planted last spring. I have seen, in my travels around town, that some people have trimmed off a good part of the branches on their tree. All that is left is about 1 foot of branches which have been blunt cut. Is this how a weeping cherry tree are supposed to be pruned in order for them to grow more branches and make a fuller tree?

Thanks!

Joan

0

I think what you describe is a little drastic for a weeping cherry tree. Usually these trees are allowed to grow long branches (almost reaching the ground) and are only pruned if the branches become tangled or if they are obstructing something. You can certainly shorten the branches so they are not hanging on the ground but I don't know that I would cut them so they are only about a foot long. What will happen with the trees you've observed is that all of the new growth will develop just above the cut ends and can will grow in all directions and be a little wild looking. Why not try pruning gently for a few years to see if you like the result? If not, you can always do some more severe pruning.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"