Rosemary - Knowledgebase Question

Colorado Springs, Co
Question by fieldlt
I planted some large rosemary plants last spring, and I do not want to dig them up. So as winter approaches I was wondering the best way to insure they spring back up. Besides giving them a dose of heavy mulch, should I cut them back? If so how far back from the ground? Thank you

0

Rosemary, lemon verbena, and a few other perennial herbs are not reliably winter hardy in your region. Extra winter protection can be provided by cutting plants back to within a couple inches of the ground after the first hard frost and covering the remaining stub with soil. Then cover the soil with a 4- to 5-inch layer of mulch. An alternative method is to encircle the plant with a cage of hardware cloth or chicken wire. The cage diameter should be about 12 inches larger than the plant (6 inches on each side). Fill the cage with shredded leaves, pine needles, or other mulch material.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"