St Agustine/Floratam - Knowledgebase Question

Brownsville, Te
Question by lcspumba
grass for the second time in two years has turned like if it is drying in a big spot. Do not know if it is a fungus, brown patch or just dried. Last year it did the same thing but spring (this year) came and my grass was awesome. I have used Spectracide lawn disease control three times in 3 months. Its just getting worse. Please Help!

0

I know how frustrating it can be! Floratam St. Augustine grass was released by the Florida and Texas Agricultural Experiment Stations in 1972 as a SAD virus and chinch bug resistant selection. It is resistant to Chinch bugs, downy mildew, gray leaf spot and brown patch fungus. Because of this, I'm not sure what's going on with your lawn. At this point I can only suggest you dig out a sample of the affected sod, including the roots, and take it into your local Master Gardener Clinic or Cooperative Extension office. Trained folks can inspect the turf and look at it under a microscope to positively identify the problem. They will also offer control recommendations. Contact Cameron County Extension Office, 1390 W Expressway 83
San Benito, TX 78586-7633. Good luck with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Geranium maderense"