Tomato Splitting - Knowledgebase Question

Aiea, Ha
Question by lkn_50
My tomato plants (Kewalo-Type, I think) are finally bearing fruits BUT most of the fruits are

0

Tomato cracking or splitting has to do with growth rates. Plants have periods where they might have very fast growth followed by slow growth and then fast again. These changes can cause fruit nearing maturation to crack. If the cells have "hardened" during the last slow growth then in the next fast growth period they may not be able to stretch enough and the skin cracks. Inconsistent watering can cause cracking, especially when the tomatoes are almost ripe. This can be caused by rainfall or by watering infrequently which causes the soil to be drenched and then to dry out before it is completely saturated again. Some tomato varieties are more susceptible to cracking and splitting - other varieties are more tolerant of wide fluctuations of soil moisture. The tomatoes are still edible, they're just not quite as attractive as those without splits or cracks.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"