Soil Amendments - Knowledgebase Question

Spring Creek, Ne
Question by drderemiah
I have approximatly 3/4 of an acre that I want to plant in lawn/flower beds. I tested my soil and was told by the lab to add organic ammendments and elemental sulfter. The elemental S was not problem but I can't find a good cheap amendment for organic matter. Got any ideas? I live in N Nevada high desert where the winters are long and the summers hot.

0

Probably the least expensive source of organic matter is cow or horse manure. Sometimes you can haul it for free and other times you need to pay for a truckload. Check around your area to see if there are any cattle or horse ranches. Or, phone your cooperative extension office for help in locating the manure. Local 4-H programs usually have lots of manure to share and the extension office will have a list of members. Contact University of Nevada Cooperative Extension, Elko Office, 701 Walnut St., Elko, NV 89801

Once you locate a supply, spread it over your proposed garden and lawn area so it can weather and age over the winter months. In the spring you can rototill or dig it into your soil and you'll be ready to plant.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"