Cucumber thieves - Knowledgebase Question

Chicago, Il
Question by doloresbaron
I have had a good year with my cucumbers. They are protected by a fence from the rabbits. However, when I went to pick the last 2 cukes, I found that some animal had eaten them. I found the bottom skin with the insides eaten out. What kind of pest do you think it could be?

0

All kinds of wild animals will feast on cucumbers. Rodents (rats and mice), squirrels, raccoons, rabbits and foxes all seem to like them. Even though you've fenced out the rabbits, rats and mice can probably access the fruits (they get into very small openings or underneath fences. Snails, beetles and slugs can all consume the flesh of cucumbers so you may be dealing with these types of pests rather than 4-legged ones. You might try placing a barrier around the ripening fruits. A short length of old pantyhose or a square of cheesecloth can be used to cover each of the cucumbers. A physical barrier will usually keep garden raiders at bay. Hope you get a good harvest!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"