mowing new grass - Knowledgebase Question

White Hall, Il
Question by dunlapd1
I planted a mixture of grass. When do I mow it, & how short do I mow it? We mowed it the same as the rest of the yard, It seems to be dieing.!! Help !! Thank you
Donna Dunlap

0

New lawns can be mowed when the grass blades are 2-3 inches high. You can remove one third of the length of the blade without harming the new grass. If the mower's blade is dull it can pull the new seedlings right out of the ground and it can bruise the grass blades to the point that they begin to die back. Make sure the mower blade is sharp, and try not to remove more than a third of the height of the blade. As the grass matures it will have stronger roots and your mower won't be so apt to pull them right out of the ground. If you're losing a lot of the new grass you might want to overseed again. Best wishes with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Mixed Coleus"