Hibiscus Plants - Knowledgebase Question

Ft. Lauderdale, Fl
Question by cfish55
I potted three hibiscus plants several months ago and placed them on my porch where they are getting full sun. They were thriving and growing beautifully until about a week ago. Now every morning I pick about ten to twenty yellowing leaves from them. They are spreading out and are not full like they used to be. What causes this? Thank you!

0

Hibiscus are broadleaf evergreens as as such will retain their leaves for a year or two, but eventually those older leaves are shed and new leaves take their places. If the yellowing leaves are towards the inner parts of the branches, the yellowing and dropping is normal for this time of year. You'll see healthy new leaves grow in their places. To keep a hibiscus full and bushy you need to prune them back on a regular basis. When you cut a branch you'll see two or more new branches develop just behind the cut. I prune my hibiscus 4-5 times a year by trimming them back by 6-8". I've also taken an electric hedge trimmer to them when they grow really out of control! Try pruning your hibiscus back now and when the new growth is 6-8 inches long, prune the new growth back by half. You'll end up with a thicker, fuller plant. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"