Transplant Spirea - Knowledgebase Question

Bethel, Co
Question by clareese47
I asked this same question last week and never got an answer. I have a large spirea bush in my yard and I want to transplant it. Can I transplant the spirea now or should I wait until the spring? I also plan to cut it down some when should I do that?

Thank you
Judy LaPoint

0

I'm sorry to hear you did not receive the response to your original question. Sometimes email programs bounce our responses and sometimes they arrive, but in your junk mail instead of your regular mailbox. And, sometimes our responses go into cyberspace, never to be found again! In any event, I hope you receive this answer.

You can dig and transplant your spirea now, in the fall. You can prune it back after your first hard frost or you can wait until early spring to do your pruning. When a plant experiences a frost it gets the signal that it's time to go dormant. If you prune just before your first frost of the season the plant will respond by trying to put out new growth. This new growth will not have a chance to harden off before winter weather arrives and will die back. You'll have to prune it off in the spring. So, the easiest approach is to simply wait until after your first frost and prune anytime between then and early spring. Good luck with the move~!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"