Root fungus - Knowledgebase Question

Dallas, Te
Question by manager7
One of your experts told me to use ground corn meal to use on my rose bushes. Every year the leaves get spots and drop off and by the end of the season I cut them down to nubs. I need to know the other ingredients so I can kill this at the roots

0

Cornmeal is often recommended for root or soil borne fungus, but what you describe sounds more like a leaf fungus called black spot. Black spot is one of the most common diseases of roses. Fungicides will help control it, but you'll need to practice good garden sanitation (prune and remove the most obviously infected canes), and try to keep water off the leaves. Fungicides need to be applied every 7-14 days during the growing season. Some choices include Funginex, Daconil, Captan, Bravo, or the neem oil based product called Rose Defense. I'm afraid black spot is just one of the challenges you'll face when growing roses, but the reward is worth the effort. I don't think there's anything quite as lovely as a garden filled with roses! Best wishes with your roses.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"