My Tree Split down the center! - Knowledgebase Question

Manteca, Ca
Question by mrguipo
I have pictures of needed. I have a purple robe locust, and earlier this year it split down the center. The tree has been in the ground for around 2 years. I roped the tree together, and it seems to be groing back. The tree has been doing well, but I need advice where to go now. I think I should trip it. Pictures are necessary, please email me and I'll send you pictures.

0

You may be able to save the tree by inserting a carriage bolt or two (depending upon the length of the split). Drill a hole through the tree trunk then place a carriage bolt into the hole and secure it on the opposite side with a nut. Tighten the nut to bring the split parts together. With any luck at all the wood will knit together. As the tree grows in girth it will grow right over the nut and bolt and you won't see them at all. This process works about 80 percent of the time. Be sure to remove the rope from the trunk. It can damage the bark if you leave it on too long. Good luck with your tree.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"