IVY plant - Knowledgebase Question

Orinda, Ca
Question by bobresidence
Hi;
I have an Ivy Plant that is at least 35 years old. It has been climbing a pole. I HAVE A PROBLE. The top portion of this Ivy plant has been dying and I do not know why? Do I need to water it? Is it diseaed like a fungus? Is it damaged on the bottom by rats or animals? But the intersting thing is that the bottom of Ivy plant is very green with big leaves. I appreciate if you can help me. Thank

0

If you have new growth at the bottom of the ivy, the roots are still healthy so the problem is with the vines at the top of the pole - or midway between the bottom and the top of the pole. If it's been growing up the pole for many years it is possible the vines have strangled themselves by growing around one another and cutting off circulation. You may want to prune the dead and dying vines at whatever level you can reach along the pole and pull them down off the pole so the healthy new vines can grow up the pole. Hope this helps.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"