Preparing a new garden for winter in NewEngland. - Knowledgebase Question

Westerly, Rh
Question by marcosnstoli
I have recently planted a new garden in the spring. Some of the shrubs died when we were gone for vacation over the summer but I managed save two lilies and a couple shrubs. I am worried that all my work and money will be ruined by the harsh winter we have. I am hoping not to have to transplant but protect them from the snow. I hope to have new flowering growth then spring. Thank You.

0

When frost kills the tops of your lilies, cut away the dead stems and cover over the top of the soil with 4-5 inches of compost or other organic matter to help insulate the bulbs. Your shrubs will appreciate some insulation from the cold, as well. You can pile some dried leaves over them or pine boughs to help provide some winter protection. If the plants are very small you can even make cylinders out of chicken wire to place over the plants (anchor it down!), and then fill the cylinders with straw, shredded leaves, pine needles, or whatever organic matter you have on hand. Once your shrubs are well established in the landscape you won't need to protect them during the winter months - simply prune away any winter kill after new growth begins in the spring.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"