calla lily, foxglove - Knowledgebase Question

quincy, Ma
Question by tschramm30
I live in Quincy, Ma. I beleive this is zone 5 how do take care of these plants in the winter as I am a beginer at gardening.

0

Calla lilies are not hardy outdoors in Zone 5. Dig your calla lilies in the fall when the foliage dies down. Brush away soil from the bulbs and leave them in a dry, well-ventilated room to dry. Trim away any remaining vegetation once the bulbs have dried. Fill a paper grocery sack with sphagnum peat moss. Place the calla lilies in the sack of peat moss so that there is 2 inches of space between each bulb. Fold the top of the bag over and tape it closed. Write the contents of the bag and the date on the top of the sack. Place the grocery bag in a dry, well-ventilated, dark location such as a basement. You can replant the bulbs in the spring.

Foxgloves are perennials or biennial plants. After frost kills the tops of the plants, prune everything down to soil level and pile 4-5 inches of mulch over the top of the plant to help protect it during the winter months. In the spring you can rake or brush the mulch away from the plant.

Good luck with your garden!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Tulips"