Red Select Japanese Maole - Knowledgebase Question

Fort Smith, Ar
Question by laranh60
I have a couple of questions. 1: i just purchased this Red Japanese maple, i noticed it has a burlap sack around the roots, di i need to discard this before i plant? 2: i read to protect from winter winds, how do you do this? Thanks in advance.

0

Although the burlap sack will eventually decompose and the roots will grow out of the sack, I think it's best to completely remove the burlap before planting. This way you can gently spread the roots out in a natural arrangement when you plant the tree and you'll know it will get off to a good start instead of sending its roots around and around in a circle until the burlap decomposes. Be sure to remove any clips or twine that might be holding the burlap around the trunk, as well. Winter winds can dessicate the small branches and branch tips. It's difficult to wrap a tree to protect it so you might want to spray it with Wilt-Pruf or other protectant in December or January to help keep the branches from drying out in cold winter winds. Best wishes with your new tree.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"