mortality - Knowledgebase Question

Maricopa, Ar
Avatar for hosleyd8c
Question by hosleyd8c
we have bought several plants, ie: grapes, blueberries, raspberries, all refuse to grow and eventually die. We also had a 30 foot pine, die in less then two weeks. Are we missing something in the soil? We do water.

You didn't mention how you prepared the soil for your grapes, blueberries and raspberries so I'm not sure what might have been the problem. In general, these plants need a soil rich in compost or manure or other organic amendments, and they need afternoon shade in your growing region. The hot summer sunshine can bake them to a crisp. Afghan pines are well suited to the desert and as long as they get adequate water will grow happily in a full sun position. A 30 foot tall tree will have an extensive root system so watering can be tricky. If you have a drip system be sure to place emitters beneath the tree in several locations so the entire root system gets its fair share of moisture. I hope you have better success with your plants in the future~

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by arctangent and is called "Penstemon profusion"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.