How to kill termites in potting soil - Knowledgebase Question

west palm beach, Fl
Question by jangel0234
I have baby termites in every bag of diff. type of soil that i've purch. I have these baby termites and don't no how to kill them. I'm scared that they will eat the trunks on my trees that i've grown from seeds. Yes I repotted and did'nt see the termites do to me mixin diff. soils together. please help. Also can fire ants kill my plants as well?

0

If you're finding what look like baby termites in bagged potting soil, I think you're finding springtails rather than termites. Springtails love moist places and decaying organic debris. They will die out or go away once the potting soil is exposed to sunlight and fresh air. They won't hurt your plants. Fire ants will feed on seeds and can girdle the stems of plants. There are several different control products on the market that you can use near ornamental plants (but not in vegetable gardens). Combat or Spectracide fire ant bait products will control the pests.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Lilac"