mulch question - Knowledgebase Question

Arvada, Co
Question by scotthistle1
I have about 2+ layers of mulch on my bulb garden currently. Is there a time when I should remove all of the old mulch, and just start fresh? There is a fabric barrier down as well (put in by previous owners). We have a very clay-like soil, and live in Colorado.

Thanks!!
Kate

0

Mulch usually decomposes on its own and we generally recommend you dig it into the soil before adding a new layer. However, since you have weed barrier fabric beneath the mulch, digging it into the garden bed isn't much of an option for you. Next time it's time to add a fresh layer of mulch, rake out the old mulch and spread it in a garden bed that has no weed barrier, then dig it into the soil. It's a good way to recycle the tired mulch and you won't end up with an extremely thick layer of mulch in the bed with the weed barrier fabric. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"