Varigated Ginger - Knowledgebase Question

New Orleans, Lo
Question by carolhoganca
I have a Varigated Ginger that I thought I lost during the freeze last year, but has come back enormously. Is there a way to propagate this plant?

0

I'll bet you were surprised that your ginger came back with such a vengence! This sometimes happens after the top is killed back by a frost. The roots send up lots of new growth to make up for the growth that it lost to the freeze. I think the easiest way to deal with your ginger is to dig it out of the ground and slice the rootmass into divisions, much like you would a fibrous rooted plant. Although gingers grow from rhizomes, you can simply slice the rhizome into sections. As long as each division has a part of the root system (rhizome) plus a few stems and leaves, it will grow into a new ginger plant.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"