What to do about Winter - Knowledgebase Question

Tulsa, Ok
Question by patriciacarm
I am new to gardening and to Tulsa, I have a beautiful Bougainvillea, which is potted and about 6 feet tall and 3 feet wide. What do I need to do to make sure it survives winter and can be just as beautiful next year?

0

Your zip code puts you in USDA garden zone 7 and your bougainvillea is hardy only to zone 8 so to make sure it survives the winter you'll need to take it indoors. You can cut it back so it's easier to handle and so it takes up less space in your home. Or, if you have an enclosed porch or patio that remains above 40F all winter long you can move it there for the winter months. Otherwise, prune it back and set it indoors near a sunny window. It may not flower for you while indoors but when you move it back outside in the spring it will bloom about 4 weeks after you take it outdoors. Best wishes with your bougainvillea.

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"