Water Chestnut - Knowledgebase Question

Marlton, NJ
Question by pmoran8
March 2, 1999
My uncle would like to try to grow this veggie(?) and needs to know the method. Also, what is the correct name for "water chestnuts" (used in cooking).

Answer from NGA
March 2, 1999


The water chestnut used in Chinese cooking is Eleocharis dulcis. The part we eat is sometimes called a corm and sometimes called a tuber -- but in layman's terms we eat the root part. It looks like a reed and grows as a bog plant, meaning in standing water, and needs full sun. Most of the world supply is grown in Asia and more recently in Australia. You might find the following information interesting http://www.boofarm.com/earthca... but basically it can be grown in any container which holds water, the corms are harvested in late fall after the leaves have died back.

Do not confuse this plant with the noxious water weed Trapa natans which is also commonly known as "water chestnut".

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:



[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Red Squirrel"