planting - Knowledgebase Question

tucson, Ar
Question by rkwia
Since this is a good time to plant, i am purchasing perennials to put in my flower beds. I have observed the movement of the sun throughout the summer and think i know which areas get sun, shade etc. My question is, as the suns movement changes now, should i plant according to the maximum summer sun they will recieve overall? Also which annuals will thrive heartily year round? Also pot ideas?

0

Glad you've been tracking the sunshine! Yes, you should plant according to the sunshine exposure in mid-summer. Perennials won't mind a little shade in the spring and fall as long as they can bask in the sunshine in the summertime. Likewise, shade lovers will tolerate some spring and fall sunshine as long as they are protected from hot summer sunshine.

I'm afraid there are no annuals that will flower all year around - annuals flower for only one season, then set seeds and die. You can have lots of color year around, though, if you replant annuals according to the seasons. Right now cool season annuals are available at the garden center. In April, when the weather begins to warm you can plant warm season annuals. You can plant nearly any annual or perennial in a pot. Use potting soil rather than garden soil and check for watering needs every few days until you get a feel for how thirsty the plants are.

Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"