Transplanting Hydrangeas - Knowledgebase Question

Cincinnati, Oh
Question by apurplenaomi
How do I transplant hydrangeas? Is there a special way or advise on what to be careful of or avoid doing? I live in Cincinnati, OH (Zones 3-6).

0

Hydrangeas are reasonably sturdy plants and usually don't mind being dug and moved. The cooler months of autumn are a good time to move them; springtime is another good time to move the plants. Expect the roots to be in the top 12-18 inches of soil and extend out to about as far as the longest branches on the plant. Start your digging there and move in and down as you dig. It's okay to sever some of the smaller feeder roots and you dig but try not to damage the major roots as you unearth your hydrangea. When you replant your hydrangea be sure it will be sitting at the same soil level as it was before. After planting, water well to help settle the soil. Best wishes with the move!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"