Grass will not grow - Knowledgebase Question

Phoenix, Ar
Question by dianamichael
I have an area in my backyard of bare soil where the grass would not grow. Grass was there before and this past summer, the area suddenly became bare (not sure why?) and even though I seeded it a few times, nothing would grow. I am preparing my winter lawn for rye grass. Do you have any suggestions why that patchy area simply would not fill in with grass?

Thank you.

0

You didn't describe the area so I'm not sure if you're having problems growing grass because the area is too shady, or if the soil is compacted and drains poorly, or if your sprinkler system (or method of watering) is missing the area. There may have been a problem with overfertilizing (excess salts in the soil can inhibit growth. Other chemical sprays in the area might also render the soil sterile. All of the above can keep lawn from growing and thriving.

October is a good month to seed with perennial ryegrass but before you broadcast the seeds you'll want to dig the area to help loosen the soil and ensure it drains well. While you're at it, work in some compost or other organic matter to enrich the soil. Rake the areas level and overseed with your rye. Birds will want to feast on the newly sown seed so cover over the top of the seeds with a thin layer of compost or peat moss to help disguise the seeds. Keep the area watered - several times a day to help keep it moist. The new grass should sprout in 7-10 days. Hope your new lawn thrives.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"