clematis - Knowledgebase Question

Bloomington, Il
Question by fluffy7757
I have a small archway with 2 legs on each side. Legs are 20 inches apart. Is it ok to put 4 different clematis, 1 on each leg ? Is it OK to mix clematis like that ?

0

It's okay to place a clematis on each leg but I think you'll find that the plants will overwhelm your small archway in a matter of 2-3 years. You'll have a huge pruning job to attend to each year to keep the plants under control and since they bloom on new growth, you might be sacrificing flowers, as well. Don't get me wrong - I love clematis and grow them myself but once they become established they can really be vigorous growers. Since you have a small archway, why not consider growing a climbing rose or two - one on each side of the archway? Roses are easier to contain and control than clematis. Just a thought.... Another suggestion: have you considered growing annual vining plants on your archway? Hyacinth bean, Scarlet Runner Bean and Sweet Peas are well behaved and can cover a small archway without problem. The good news is that you can pull away the vines and pull up the plants at the end of the growing season - no pruning required!

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"