St. Agustine - Knowledgebase Question

Brownsville, Te
Question by lcspumba
I noticed that my lawn has dry spots. When I raked the spots a lot of thatch came out. As I look at the spot and pulled the grass it seemed that the roots were not deep or not in the soil. It seemed like I was pulling a wig. A lot of the grass was like loose. I also noticed that the soil look similar to mulch or compose soil. I used some fungicide with no results. Please advise

0

If the turfgrass has no roots you may be dealing with grubs (they feed on the roots). Grubs actively feed in the summer months, then they turn into adults and fly away so you won't see any grubs in the lawn at this time of year. You'll want to apply a grub control product next spring (such as Grubex or Bayer Advanced Season Long Grub control). Until then, rake out all the dead grass, work some compost into the soil and then take plugs of healthy turf to plant in the bare places. You might be able to dig out strips of healthy St. Augustine along the sidewalk or walkway, cut it into 3" long pieces and plant the pieces in the bare areas. The plugs will grow and spread to cover the bare spots in your lawn. Good luck with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"