weed killer - Knowledgebase Question

Henderson, Ne
Question by ladyrk
Should I use weed killer spray on weeds in the lawn now or will they just die on their own in winter and would I be wastng time and product.

0

I wish there were an easy answer to your question. There are both annual and perennial weeds, with some biennials thrown in. It's possible the weeds you are seeing now are cool season annuals. If so, they will die out in a few weeks. The problem with allowing them to grow is that they will set seeds before they die and you'll have a new crop of weeds sprouting in the cool months of the spring. Perennial weeds will also die down as the weather cools but their roots will remain alive and the weeds will sprout up in the spring. If it were my lawn I'd use a weed killer now. It will control the weeds and may even keep the annuals from setting seeds before they die. Next spring apply a corn gluten meal based pre-emergent and you'll be able to keep weed seeds from sprouting in your lawn. Best wishes with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"