Hydrangea pruning - Knowledgebase Question

Holly Springs, Ge
Question by artplsulliv
I have the limelight hardy hydrangea and the plant guide says to prune winter/early spring. It says: prune 2/3 the way to the
ground... ??? so do I take 1/3 off the
top???? or 2/3 off the top??
thanks.. what MONTH would you suggest to cut back?
THANK YOU! Phyllis S.

0

Your Limelight hydrangea will develop flowers on new growth that emerges from old growth - old growth meaning last year's wood. So to prune for flowering you can prune yours down to about knee level in the late winter or early spring. I prune mine down in February or March. The canes or branches that remain on the plant will serve as the old growth. New flowering stems will develop on the old growth and each of the stems that develops should produce a flower for you. Pruning down this hard each spring will keep your hydrangea under control in terms of height and width and will also ensure you get as many flowers as possible. Hope this clarifies things for you.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"