Clover Like Plants - Knowledgebase Question

millbrae, Ca
Question by drmagsaysay
I have a small garden plot in front of my house. I pull out the weeds, then I plant my annuals and a few perennials. My friend said the clover like plants, (they bear small white flowers w/bulbs)I pull out are not weeds & should be kept. Is this true, if I keep them, will they not interfere w/ the growth of my real plants? They are also under my rose shrubs;can they act as mulch?Thank you

0

The true definition of a weed is any plant that is growing where you don't want it to grow. To your friend, the clover isn't a weed. But to me, because of its invasive nature, clover is a weed. If you do not continue to pull it out of the beds and away from your roses, you'll eventually have more clover than you can possibly control by pulling it up by hand. I would pull the clover up out of the ground as soon as it emerges and spread an organic mulch around the plants and under the rose bush. Use 2-3 inches of compost or other organic matter over the bare soil between your plants and under your rose bush to help keep weeds from sprouting. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Tulips"