banana plants - Knowledgebase Question

Louisville, Ke
Question by djewell2009
I have some banana plant in my front yard and it is going down to 30 degrees tonight and I want to know will they be okay and when do I need to dig them up and bring them inside

0

If your banana plant is planted in the ground you can probably get away with covering it with an old blanket so the frost doesn't wilt the leaves. Banana plants will survive winter temperatures in your garden (you're USDA zone 6B), if you simply wait for frost to blacken the leaves, then cut the stalk off at ground level and mulch over the top of the roots with several inches of compost, shredded leaves, straw, etc. The roots will remain alive and in the spring you can rake away the mulch material and it will sprout new stalks and foliage.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Mixed Coleus"