Established bed fertilization - Knowledgebase Question

strasburg, Vi
Question by Ornacare
Could you recommend composted materials for a established mixed flower and shrub planting.Which are most effective,best time to apply,which materials would be most beneficial in the long term ect. . thanks

0

If you make your own compost you can simply place a two inch layer over the bare soil between the plants each spring. As the compost breaks down it will release nutrients into the soil. I work mine into the soil a little but it isn't necessary. Sometimes I add a second layer in mid-summer. If you don't have your own compost pile you can purchase bagged compost and use it in the same manner. If you prefer a liquid fertilizer you can feed with compost tea or diluted fish emulsion. Feed in the spring when new growth begins and once again after the plants have finished flowering. Hope this answers your question!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"