REPOTTING PLANTS FROM THE GARDEN - Knowledgebase Question

Torrance, Ca
Question by hooahdiva06
This summer I planted 2 bell pepper plants (red & green); now it is fall, I want know if digging up the plants and replanting them in pots will this help perserve the plants for spring planting?

0

Pepper plants grow best in warm weather and are usually treated as annuals in the garden. While it's possible for them to grow for 2-3 years if the weather remains warm throughout the winter, they won't produce as well the second year and will become more susceptible to disease problems as they age. Digging up your plants can stress them to the point that they may die so I won't recommend potting them up at this time of year. Instead, continue to give them good care in the garden, just as you have been doing all summer long. Since you rarely get a frost in Torrance, your plants should continue to grow this winter - but they probably won't flower or set peppers until the weather warms next spring. If frosty weather threatens you can place temporary covers over your plants overnight. I'd just leave the pepper plants in the garden and continue to water them on a regular basis. With any luck they will survive and you'll get pepper plants very early next summer. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"