yellow coneflowers - Knowledgebase Question

Rosedale, Lo
Question by hughesmarcia
I recently purchased some yellow coneflower plants from a mail order nursery, when they arrived they looked ok, good root system, I planted them the same day, gave them water, planted in full sun. This has been for almost 2 weeks and they have looked dead since a couple of days after I planted them. Are they dead or is this a phase they are going through??

0

First, the good news: coneflowers are perennial plants so even if the tops die down, the roots will remain alive and you'll get new stems and foliage next spring. As for the problem with your plants - I suspect they suffered some transplant shock when you first planted them. The stress of being planted can cause the plants to droop, especially if they are planted in full sunshine. To avoid this, you can temporarily shade your plants for the first week or two after planting (just file this information away for your next planting project). At this point I'd just water the plants on a regular basis and let them die down naturally this fall or winter. When the tops die down completely you can prune the dead plant material off. Next spring you should see some healthy new stems and foliage emerge, and enjoy lots of flowers next summer.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"