burning bush - Knowledgebase Question

Pontiac, Mi
Question by denhatter
what do I need to add to the soil to plant a burning bush. I planted one a couple of years ago and it is dead.

0

Burning bush is really quite adaptable to soil types so the problem with your first one may have been a drainage problem. Start by digging a hole just as deep but slightly wider than the nursery container. Unpot your burning bush and set it in the hole. It should be sitting at the same soil level as it was in the nursery pot. Backfill around the sides of the root mass with the soil you took out of the hole. Then make a watering well or watering basin beneath the plant. Fill the basin with water, allow to drain, then fill a second time. Once a week should be all your new shrub needs during the growing season. Watering in this way will concentrate the moisture directly over the root system and allow it to trickle down and wet the entire root mass. Be sure to water it once a week after planting, until the soil freezes. In the spring, after the soil thaws, begin watering regularly once again. Good luck with your burning bush.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Dahlia & Water Hyacinth"