Spots on apples - Knowledgebase Question

Albuquerque, Ne
Question by dthornton45
We have an apple tree that produces tons of apples each year. The only problem is that most of the apples have black spots on them with a small hole. I can find no worm or insect in or around the holes. You can cut this part off and the apples are great. What could be causing this? It happens every year. Duane Thornton, Albuquerque, NM

0

I wish I could diagnose the problem but without seeing the apples, I can only offer an educated guess. Because of your weather, apple tree diseases are almost non-existent but there are some environmental/cultural problems that can cause the symptoms you describe. One is called Bitter Pit; another is watercore. Both are explained in the following New Mexico State University Cooperative Extension publication: http://aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/_h/h...

If the symptoms described do not seem to fit the problems you're seeing in your apples, you might want to take a few samples to your local extension office for a hands on diagnosis. Helpful folks can positively identify the problem and suggest control remedies. Contact Bernalillo County Extension Office, 1510 Menaul Ext BLVD NW
Albuquerque,NM 87107 Phone: 505-243-1386

Best wishes with your apples!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"