Annuals/Perennials - Knowledgebase Question

Warren, Oh
Question by LGarvey
I'm very new to growing anything. I lost a baby this past summer and I want to plant Different types of Daisies all around her. Her name was Daisy Anne. I don't know what Annuals are and I don't know what perennials are. I do know I want them to come back every year, and to be beautiful. I also have a hard time knowing all the names of the different types of daisies. Can you help me?

0

I'm sorry for your loss. I think your idea of planting daisies in her memory is a wonderful one! There are over 20,000 different species of the family Asteraceae, which is sometimes referred to as the family of daisies. Daisies are a star-like flower, hence the name, from the Greek aster. Some members of Asteraceae, such as many lettuces and sunflowers, are not thought of as daisies, but they share many of the same characteristics. The origin of the word Daisy is Anglo Saxon ?daes eage? literally meaning ?day?s eye?. It was called this because daisies open at dawn as the day is just beginning. A Daisy symbolizes innocence and purity. It can also symbolize new beginnings.

Some of the varieties of Daisies include Spanish Daisy, Blue Daisy, Lazy Daisy or Prairie Daisy, African Daisy, Michaelmas Daisy, Swan River Daisy, Tatarian Daisy, Painted Daisy, Paris Daisy, Shasta Daisy, Crown-Daisy, Ox-eye Daisy, Nippon Oxeye Daisy, Giant Daisy, African Daisy, Kingfisher Daisy, Sunshine Daisy, Gerbera Daisy, Transvaal Daisy or Barberton Daisy, Tahoka Daisy, Livingstone Daisy, Gloriosa Daisy, Dahlberg Daisy, Butter Daisy. Of these, Shasta Daisy and African Daisy are the most popular varieties.

All daisies grow best in full sunshine, in well draining soils. The difference between annuals and perennials is that annuals grow, bloom, set seeds and die all within a single growing season; perennials grow and bloom for 3 or more years. Since you're new to gardening, I'd suggest growing perennial daisies. Shasta daisies are among the easiest to grow, followed by African daisies.

Best wishes with your new plants!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Geranium maderense"