Preserving annuals indoors in the midwest - Knowledgebase Question

glenwood, Il
Question by stephcedtoo
Can annuals like impatients and petunias be grown/maintained indoors in illinois through the winter.Just brought my annuals back to life after a harsh summer and din't want to let go of them as they are so pretty now.

0

Technically, annuals grow, bloom, set seeds and die all in one growing season. It is possible to coax impatiens into growing and blooming indoors but I've never had much success with petunias indoors. To keep impatiens alive, pinch off the flowers as they fade. New stems will develop and new flowers, too, as long as they get adequate light. Petunias are sun and heat lovers and generally won't do as well indoors. There's no harm in trying, though. You'll need a sunny windowsill or supplemental lighting to keep the petunias happy. Hope your plants flourish indoors!

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"