removing flowers from garden to house - Knowledgebase Question

Chicago, Il
Question by doloresbaron
I have some pretty marigolds and snapdragons in my garden as well as a green pepper plant that is starting new peppers. Is it possible to put them in pots and take them indoors? How best to do it?

0

The plants you mention are annuals and they won't perform well indoors, even if you are able to dig and transplant them into pots without subjecting them to transplant shock. I know you hate to see the weather kill them off but I'm afraid that's just the nature of annuals. Wish I had more encouraging news for you! On the plus side, Snapdragons are reasonably hardy to cool weather so they will probably flower through a mild frost but will die back after a hard frost. Marigolds are more frost tender and will die with your first frost. I'm afraid your pepper plants will suffer the same fate. They are warm season plants that require lots of direct sunshine in order to grow, flower and produce fruits. You can wait until the first frost is predicted and harvest those tiny peppers. They will probably be bite-sized but I'm sure they'll taste great. Enjoy your garden while you can!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Mixed Coleus"