Winter Storage - Knowledgebase Question

Waterville, Ne
Question by kristi2305
I have a topsy turvy strawberry plant, a blueberry patio plant, and a harlequin hydrangea (in a pot). I know I should bring all 3 of them to a cool space indoors & that you recommend a garage, but does it matter if there are no windows to provide sunlight in the garage? How much do I water them throughout the winter while they are indoors? How far back do I cut the strawberry plants' vines?

0

The three plants you mention all need different care over the winter months. First, the easiest: Your strawberry plants will go into dormancy after they experience a frost. The frost will kill the leaves and you can cut them off the plant. You can also prune off the runners unless they have baby plants attached. If they do, don't prune the runners off but do prune off the dead leaves of the baby plants. You can take your strawberry plants into a garage for the winter and they won't mind that there's no light because they will be dormant. They won't need to be watered on a regular basis (as they do when they are actively growing) but you do want to make sure the potting soil does not completely dry out so check every 3-4 weeks and sprinkle with water or mist the soil with water if necessary.

Your blueberry plant should remain outdoors over the winter months but because it is in a container, the roots will be susceptible to freezing and dying unless you insulate the roots. You can do this by burying the pot so the earth can insulate the roots or you can wrap the pot with insulating material. I just dig a hole near the foundation of my house and set the pot in the hole, then mulch over the top of the plant with pine boughs or straw.

Your hydrange can be treated as above or can be taken indoors and grown as a houseplant. Hope this answers all your questions!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"