moles - Knowledgebase Question

Wilmot, Ne
Question by reroble
I recently reworked my lawn and the grass seed is germinating well. I have noticed what appears to be tunnels under the surface which I beleve are due to moles. I haven't had problems in the past, only just recently. How can I eliminate the moles?

0

Moles can be an occasional problem in any landscape. They seem to move in and out of areas, sometimes without detection, and might even hang around when the soil is full of organic matter and there are plenty of grubs just below the soil surface. Not only do these creatures help aerate the soil, they also feed on insects and grubs. But, they do leave raised patches of earth, and can harm bulbs and the roots of plants when they dig their tunnels. You can try trapping the critters, or you can just stomp the raised earth down to try and discourage them from taking up permanent residence in your yard. If mole tunneling becomes are real nuisance, purchase a scissors-type trap and place it in the tunnel to capture the moles. Trapping takes lots of patience and a bit of luck, but it's the only sure way of eradicating a mole population. Invest in one or two scissors-type traps and set them in the active runs. The best approach is to use a stiff metal probe (like a straightened wire coathanger) to find the main runs. Start at a mound of soil and explore the ground with the probe, finding the longest tunnel. You'll be able to tell by whether or not the probe penetrates into the soil easily. Short tunnels are used infrequently, so your best chance of trapping will be by placing a trap in a frequently used main run. Once you?ve found a likely tunnel, set the trap and cover it with a section of turf or a board to exclude daylight. Keep setting the trap until you stop catching moles and gophers. It may take an entire season, but persistence pays off and eventually you'll reduce the population of the creatures. Good luck with your project!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"