asparagus - Knowledgebase Question

canton, Mi
Question by debra56
This is the first year we have planted asparagus. Now that it is fall is there anything I should do with the tall plants? Do I cut them back now or in the spring? Thanks.

0

I leave the foliage alone on my asparagus plants, allowing it to remain until late winter. Over the course of the winter season it will lay down over the crowns of the plants and help insulate them against the cold. As long as you prune it back before new growth begins in the spring, it makes a convenient insulating mulch material. If you'd rather prune it off you can do so after frost kills it back. After cutting it away, pile 3-4 inches of compost, shredded leaves, pine needles or other insulating material over the tops of the plants. This will need to be raked away when new growth begins in late winter or early spring. Either way, your asparagus plants should be happy their first winter in the ground.

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"