christmas pointsettia - Knowledgebase Question

Virginia Beach, Vi
Question by billyboyva
What is the process to get a pointsettia plant to bloom for Christmas. My plant from last year did well outside this summer but now I would like to bring it indoors and get it ready for Christmas. There is a timing
of light and darkness required. What is it?

0

The key to getting your poinsettias to develop color is to provide total darkness for 13-14 hours every night. Here's what I do: in September or early October, place it in TOTAL darkness for 13-14 hours every night. This is REALLY important. I set mine in a rarely used closet and place a cardboard box over the top, just to make sure no light hits the plant. I do this in the evening and take it out every morning and set it in a brightly lit location. You need to faithfully put it back in the closet each evening and take it out again each morning. When you see color developing on the leaves you can stop providing 14 hours of darkness each night and just leave the plant in a bright location.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"