Moles - Knowledgebase Question

Gainesville, Fl
Question by bushtail
I think I have some Moles in my yard, each morning I have a few more deep holes dug out, what can I do to get rid of them.

Thank you
Joyce Maxwell

0

Moles tunnel beneath the soil surface and when they emerge they push out a mound of soil. If you have soil mounds, you probably have moles. If there are holes in the lawn but not mounds of soil, you're dealing with curious squirrels or raccoons.

The best way to control moles is by trapping. Invest in one or two scissors-type traps and set them in the active runs. The best approach is to use a stiff metal probe (like a straightened wire coathanger) to find the main runs. Start at a mound of soil and explore the ground with the probe, finding the longest tunnel. You'll be able to tell by whether or not the probe penetrates into the soil easily. Short tunnels are used infrequently, so your best chance of trapping will be by placing a trap in a frequently used main run. Once you've found a likely tunnel, set the trap and cover it with a section of turf or a board to exclude daylight. Keep setting the trap until you stop catching moles. It may take an entire season, but persistence pays off and eventually you?ll reduce the population of the creatures. Healthy soil naturally has a large population of insects. As long as the insects inhabit the soil, moles will be attracted. Wish there were an easier way to eliminate moles from the landscape.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"